Happy New Year Divas! And welcome to 2011, a brand new year with brand new opportunities. I personally look forward to 2011 being a year filled with good health and prosperity for myself and my fellow Professional Divas. I am not big on New Year’s resolutions, but there are few things that I always focus on to help me obtain the previously mentioned and desired health and prosperity…this year is no different!
In the spirit of exchanging information and ideas, I wanted to share 5 things that the Professional Diva should strive to achieve in the new year. Coincidentally, this list also serves as excellent fodder for the Martini Chronicles and the Professional Diva’s progression to greatness! That was a bit much…but check it out!
1. Take Charge of Your Health – As the end of the year approaches, millions of women (and men) resolve to get back in shape at the beginning of the year. For the first 2 weeks of the new year, sports clubs make a ton of money from the new memberships of those who declare that they will lose 10 or 20 or 30 pounds in the new year. It is always amazing to me how the new year always brings new motivation to achieve physical fitness. But what happens when the thrill of the new year and the new gym is gone?
This year, I challenge you to press pass the two week fitness frenzy. Take stock in your health by partaking in regular exercise, eating healthier meals, and gathering a team of medical experts to monitor and sustain your health. Also remember that it is not all about weight loss; it is about your overall health. Make this the year you resolve to take care of your total health, both inside and out.
2. Develop Strong Business Relationships – As professional women, we have a responsibility to develop and nurture meaningful business relationships with individuals in our respective fields. The truth is you never know where a business connection may lead unless you assess the relationship. And don’t just scratch the surface; get in there are learn about your contact’s business. You should also think about how your contact can help you reach your professional goals, and vice versa. If done properly, you will find that you have formed a reciprocal relationship where both parties are mutually beneficial to each other. Make this the year you resolve to build and cultivate business relationships that will help you reach your goals.
3. Build Strong Personal Relationships – Business relationships are important, but so are our personal relationships. A Professional Diva’s life is not completely vested in her career; she is also concerned with other “life” issues: family, dating, fashion, fitness, makeup, etc. It is generally not appropriate to discuss these issues with business contacts. Here’s where personal relationships are important. Every now and again, women need to talk to someone they trust….a confidant with whom they can vent to who won’t judge them, but who also won’t lie to them. It is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to preserve one’s sanity. The awesome thing is that you can have several confidants who specialize in separate issues. You win! Make this the year you resolve to build strong personal relationships with those individuals you trust to keep it real with you.
4. Get Your Finances in Order – A couple of years ago, I read a book entitled “Girl, Get Your Money Straight” by Glinda Bridgforth (See Must Have Reads for the Professional Diva). With all of my student loans, car note, credit cards, and shoe fetish, I was actively searching for advice on how to meet my financial obligations. This book definitely helped. In general, we as professional women must take an active role in our financial health. Whether you are a single or married diva, you should always know where you stand financially. And never forget the importance of budgeting, investing and saving. If you don’t do it for yourself, then who will? Make this the year you resolve to get your finances in check.
5. Enjoy Life – Always remember that none of this matters if you are not enjoying life. Make it a point to do the things you like. Whether it is going to the movies, seeing a good play, shopping at the mall or reading a great book, be sure to make time to partake in the activities that make you happy. You should always build these items into your budget. Make this the year you resolve to enjoy the finer things in life.
This year is going to be fabulous…I can feel it! And I hope that it is kind to each of you. So…..what’s your New Year’s resolution?