Summer is in full swing! And with the summer comes plenty of family reunions, barbeques, weddings, and after-work happy hours. As I prepare to head to a family reunion next weekend, I started thinking of those songs that seem to get the Summertime festivities started. You know the ones I’m talking about don’t you? Those songs that force everyone to hit the proverbial dance floor, and party until the sun comes up (or until they pass out, whichever comes first!).
As a self-proclaimed music junkie, I am always aware of those songs that evoke some sought of emotion within me. In the spirit of sharing, I want to share 6 tracks that spark Summertime nostalgia. Whenever I hear these songs, I automatically think of sunshine, and barbeque charcoal, and the beach, and rooftop parties, and summer cruises, and family reunions… I can go on and on, but I won’t! Instead, check out 6 of my favorite Summertime tracks!
6. Electric Boogie by Marcia Griffith – Guaranteed to jumpstart any party, barbeque, baby shower, wedding, funeral...well, maybe not a funeral. But The Electric Boogie (affectionately known as the Electric Slide) and its accompanying dance is a favorite for all seasons. If you don't know the steps, check them out in the video below!
5. Cupid Shuffle by Cupid – Dubbed the modern day Electric Slide, the Cupid Shuffle is another song, and dance, that will get everyone off the lawn chairs. No need to worry about learning the steps to this dance….the song will show you the way!
4. P.Y.T. by Michael Jackson – The late, great Michael Jackson released this track in 1983, and it has been getting booties on the dance floor ever since. And there's something about the Summertime that gives this track an extra something. MJ may be gone, but this classic lives on!
3. Before I Let Go by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly – Have you ever been at a function when the first beat of this song drops? Instant pandemonium! I guarantee that everyone at your event will know the words…all of them…and will be singing them out loud…off beat…but out loud nonetheless!
2. Music by Erick Sermon – A brilliant collaboration between the veteran rapper and the late Marvin Gaye. This song is as smooth and laid back as a Classic Martini. And adding Marvin’s melodic vocals to the Erick Sermon’s easy flow…Brilliant!
1. Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince – No song has ever made me happier about Summer than this classic track by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. The whole song is pure perfection! From Kool & the Gang’s Summer Madness sample, to the Fresh Prince’s simple and relateable lyrics, this song oozes pure happiness and fun. This song has marked the beginning of the Summer for me since 1991, and the world around me seems to miraculously brighten when it comes on. Every lyric brings back a fond memory and sparks nostalgia. In my humble opinion, this is Summer's them song…second to none!