Home » , » My 10 Favorite Holiday Songs!

My 10 Favorite Holiday Songs!

Greetings Divas and Gents! And Merry Christmas Eve! A few days ago I decided that I was not going to post until after Christmas, but I couldn't help myself! One of the things I absolutely love about the Christmas holiday is holiday music. And by holiday music I am not talking about traditional Christmas carols. I'm talking about those songs that are only played on the radio during the holidays. Those songs that immediately remind you of the days of Christmas past. Those songs that instantly make you anxious for Christmas whenever you hear them. You all know the songs I'm talking about don't you? Well, in the spirit of Christmas Eve, I wanted to share my 10 Favorite Holiday Songs of All Time! Let me know how you like my list!

10. The Christmas Song by Nat "King" Cole - No holiday season is complete with the sultry, timeless vocals of Nat "King" Cole. I am quite certain that The Christmas Song was designed to warm anyone's heart who hears it. From the very first note, to the final message, "Merry Christmas to you," this song will always have a special place in my heart.



9. All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey - Mariah definitely did her thing with this one. In fact, I have heard this song more than any other this holiday season. This song is a favorite across generations, and has cemented itself as a modern-day holiday classic.


8. Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt - Opulence at its finest! No one did this song better than the late, great Ms. Eartha Kitt. This song will forever be one of my guilty pleasures.



7. It's Christmas (All Over the World) by New Edition - I bet many of you are surprised to see this song on my list! I am a huge New Edition fan, and I have been for most of my life. This song, which appeared on their Christmas album back in the 80's, has always been one of my favorites. In fact, last week I found myself listening to it on my iPod on repeat!



6. Christmas In the City by Mary J. Blige - Back when I was in college and working at Express, this song was part of the holiday music CD that would play in the store....all day long! I must say, however, that I definitely found myself feeling quite festive whenever the CD wrapped around to Mary's Christmas In the City...another track that reminded me of Christmas in NYC!


5. Christmas In Hollis by Run D.M.C. - I'm a NYC girl...born and raised! So Christmas in Hollis is always at the top of my holiday playlist. Big shout out to Reverend Run, D.M.C., and the late Jam Master Jay for creating this lasting hip-hop masterpiece.



4. Let It Snow by Boyz II Men - These guys make four-part harmony seem effortless. Let It Snow is a modern day holiday classic from the quartet from Philly. Another track to get your holiday spirit moving in the right direction!



3. This Christmas by Donny Hathaway - Arguably the most popular and soul-stirring holiday song of my generation, the late, great Donny Hathaway really gave us a great song sure to put anyone in the holiday spirit. This Christmas has resonated with so many different cultures and age groups, and is always at the top of any holiday music playlist... or any playlist for that matter!



2. Silent Night by The Temptations - I remember listening to this version of Silent Night while riding in the car with my grandfather as a child. He had the single on a cassette tape, and he played it all the time...even when it wasn't holiday time! We would listen to it in the Spring while driving to Coney Island...we would listen to it in the Summer while driving to Rye Playland....we would listen to it in the Fall while driving to church on Sundays. Needless to say, I associate a lot of great childhood memories with this song, which is why it has always been one of my favorite. And the Temptations sound so good singing it!



1. Give Love On Christmas Day by the Jackson 5 or New Edition - I love, love, LOVE this song!  I still have the New Edition record stored away somewhere at my parents' house. You heard me right....the RECORD! Real old school!  Both the Jackson 5 and New Edition versions automatically and instantly put me in the holiday spirit. Cue the eggnog!



Merry Christmas!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Professional Diva - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger